The Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India, has launched a grant opportunity, the M K BHAN – YOUNG RESEARCHER FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMME (MKB-YRFP), with an aim to encourage young bright researchers to continue their research in the country after Ph.D.
- The applicant should be Indian National and possess a Ph.D. in any branch of Life Sciences/ Biotechnology/allied areas.
- This fellowship will be awarded for Research work to be carried out at DBT-Autonomous Institutes only.
- Applicant should not be holding a permanent position in any institute/university.
- The applicant should have an excellent track record as evident by peer reviewed publications, technologies developed, patent (if any). Those who have submitted their Ph.D. are also eligible to apply; however, fellowship can be implemented only after award of the degree. Applicant should not take-up fellowship at the Institute where he/she has done his/her Ph.D.
- Each applicant must identify a host institute and a mentor.
- The upper age limit will be 35 years as on the closing date of the submission of the application.
- Applicants cannot have more than one fellowship at a given point of time.
- The application has to be routed through a host institute (DBT Autonomous Institute) chosen by the applicant to take up the fellowship and has to be signed by both, the mentor and head of the institution.
- In case a fellow is offered a permanent job, he/she can avail only either the fellowship or the salary.
- The fellowship is co-terminus with the project duration.
Nature of support
- The scheme provides a consolidated monthly remuneration of Rs. 75,000/- p.m.
- MKB-YRFP fellows in addition will receive a research/contingency grant of Rs. 20.00 lakh per year for hiring manpower, purchase of consumables, minor equipment, domestic travel and other contingent expenditure to be incurred for the implementation of research proposal selected for the fellowship.
- Can engage one manpower (JRF/SRF/Project Assistant/Project Associate) under him/her. Capital equipment will be procured in the name of the institute where the fellow proposes towork and value of the whole set of the equipment should not exceed Rs.10.00 lakh.
- MKB-YRFP fellows will be eligible for regular research grant through extra mural and other schemes of various S&T agencies of the Govt. of India, provided that Co-PI is a regular faculty. However, they can take research grant from anywhere but salary from only one source.
How to apply?
For online application visit https://www.dbtepromis.nic.in/Login.aspx
Application should be duly forwarded by the competent authority of the host Institute. Candidate should submit his/her nomination through single host institute only.
Duration and number of fellowships
The duration of the fellowship will be for a period of three years and in exceptional cases the duration could be extended by another two years on a fresh appraisal.
Source : DBT